Friday, July 2, 2010

A work of (Applied) Art experience

   A few days back I excluded culinary from my collection of applied arts. If I offended anyone, I deeply apologize. Anyone who knows me knows I hold food in the highest regard, especially when consciously and artfully done. That written moment served only to make the list “samurai”; consistent, streamlined. But more than any other “craft”, by far and away, the culinary arts do, in fact, fit in alongside my description of a monetized applied art; replete with its own industry that interacts with other industries. The list I spoke of is comprised of visual expressions only.
   So, karmic revenge finds today’s inspiration acknowledging a culinary moment (I mean, I really have to!).
   Imagine, if you will, walking along a riverside. Both sides of said riverside are immaculately managed to the smallest detail. On your side are sculpted lawns, echoing the softest offerings of an Isamu Naguchi. There are rises, steppes, pandals (shading over structures) and landings. Some have differing fountains; one of which the water mists straight up in the distance and children are playing in it. Elsewhere nearby is a more purposeful, fantasy infused play area, but not that one would see it as a regular playground. Children’s laughter rises softly from just the proper distances to become an ambient music one does not need to pay attention to.
   Along the river architectural details also afford the noteworthy. The most significant is the visual structure of a classic industrial age drawbridge; up, at the moment.
   Across the river, the silver minarets one associates with this city and one of its finer institutions of higher learning.
   I walk into the building; something between post modern architecture and Bauhaus inspired. All is a cathedral of clean and crisp; with zen appointments. I enter the dining area, see that it shares the space with a store selling cultured amusements, and distract myself in that area briefly.
   I finally find my seat: looking out upon the scene I had just been standing before outside.
   Lunch was a panini of capacola, Parma ham, speck ham, fontina, roast red peppers, fresh basil, tapenade aioli. A salad of arugula, grape tomatoes, shaved parmesan, toasted pine nuts and a lemon white truffle vinaigrette. Finished with a lemon gelato.
   Doesn’t that all sound like something unreal, fantastic? I can confirm that the meal was as much of a work of art as anything else about the experience; as well it should be, I was having lunch in the Tampa Museum of Art!
   Sorry to wake dear reader up, but isn’t one struck with curiosity, the synergy that had to combine to produce such exquisiteness? Did the architect call the city planner? Did the Mayor’s office deal with the museum management? And who contacted the restaurateur at Mis en place to prepare food at this location?
   The food quality was undeniably of a superior caliber, but who could argue that such presentation didn’t add to the experience? Mis at the museum is called Sono Café; menu provided…if you can, check it out (seven days a week between 11 & 5). It will bookmark an open meadow of sunshine and breeze in your memory for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment