Saturday, July 3, 2010

A random thought about Global Marketing & the Applied Arts

   My business interest/focus may lie in these areas separately. When I consider them combined I tend to think of some of the magnificence brought to my attention over the years by Clio award winners and international commercial faux pas’.
   I’ll assuredly pick up on the latter in some other post.
   I may be wrong, and I think the Clio’s tend to be awarded mid November (there’s nothing definitive at their site http://www.clioawards.com/). Seeking to wrap my brain around this year’s Grand Clio winner for Television/Cinema/Digital I find myself at a loss. Walsh Bay, Beverages/Alcoholic, "Pure Waters" for James Boag's Draught takes place in Tasmania; that southeastern island of Australia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94syGYcdGcU&feature=PlayList&p=756055D08B4E55AC&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1).
   It extends a timeless idea of holy waters, but without impressive flourish. No amazing digital surprises, no extraordinary drama, no “Oh My God” choreography or graphics or anything else.
   It’s a cute ad; and that’s it. So how it became this years’ Grand Clio winner I have no idea.
   However, do not allow such an off-putting choice color your perception of the Clio’s. If you’re unfamiliar there’s much to be learned, an enormous treasure trove to be enjoyed of past works chosen that will inspire, amuse and amaze you. It’s not the first time the Clio’s have offered up a question mark, it won’t be the last and yet it remains one of the most fun sources for the extraordinary for commercial media.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment