Monday, July 26, 2010

Art School Confidential

   From Daniel Clowes’ blog Artist of the angry, subversive masses (http://fuckyeahdanielclowes.tumblr.com/), his June 30, 2010 input (http://fuckyeahdanielclowes.tumblr.com/post/754590253/art-school-confidential) was the attached image. While I can’t use this as empirical research for dissertation, it’s interesting to note that my hypothesis is, indeed, part of our cultural conversation.

   Perhaps I should say now that I have or currently work for the International Academy of Design & Technology and the Art Institute (both at Tampa, FL). It is actually how impressed I was with these institutions that inspires this pursuit. When I was getting my undergrad degree in Illustration, UArts (Philadelphia, PA) was considered the best commercial art university worldwide. But in the 1970’s and ‘80’s our “gen ed’s” (general education classes) were not specifically designed to support our majors. Indeed, I do not recall a business-type class being offered at all. And we did not have a career placement department.
   Things may be changing. I guess I’ll find out how much; and, moreover, whether it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment