Monday, July 5, 2010

Milton Glaser; American Illustrator

   Okay, sometimes synergy takes over. The Art Institute is on spring break as I write this. I was in last Thursday hoping to reset a password when I was delighted by a few notable visuals. One, our lobby area looks like it grew up; it looks gorgeously graphic and consistent with how it should have looked all along. I won’t go further. I also noted that the next show in our gallery will be on Milton Glaser. After a fantastically muscular show on animation I saw this was not a fluke, but a trend of things to come. I stopped by Bridgette Finn’s desk (President Habblitz was busy) to convey my gratitude. Our new president is making a difference!
   But back to Milt Glaser ... I remember clearly how his name would be bandied about when I was in undergrad school. He was in the pantheon even then (in the ‘70/80s). Glaser was teaching at the School of Visual Arts and at Cooper Union in NY; I was at UArts in Philly.
   My all time favorite piece by Glaser is the Dylan poster (seen here). So it was notable to me when last year President Barack Obama awarded Glaser the National Medal of Arts (along with Bob Dylan!).
   Milt’s in his early eighties, so I wasn’t surprised he wasn’t making an appearance (at the AI gallery opening); but he’s tech savvy enough to have web clips online and it seems he might do a webcast. I wish I’d had the chance to pick his brain in person.
   The June 2010 Print cover features a work of his, with an interesting article (by Caitlin Dover - http://www.printmag.com/Article/Milton-Glaser-talks-about-his-role-models); his five influences. Upon review these seem more psychic moorings, to me, than overt influences. Read the article as well as this, Google about, and delight in the contrast of the two. Here’s my take on the five:
• Herbert Bayer was much aligned with the influences of world war graphics and surrealism.
• George Salter was clearly of the era (of the world wars) with a consistency most of somber mood.
• Lester Beall echoes post modern graphics in a fun way.
• Paul Rand is the quintessential logo guy who’s work otherwise is too basic not to be graphic and straightforward.
• Joseph Baum was a longtime client, a restaurateur and interior designer of renown, influencing fast food (Zum Zum’s) to finest dining (Manhattan’s Four Seasons). His work sometimes leaned toward the Zen, but usually had a simple, spare sixties flavor.
   Milt's own influence is undeniable (on mine, and a few generations either side of mine). His entry was in a different time, and he was smart enough to maintain his curiosity as well as surround himself with (or contexualize himself within) our cultures influences across more than a half century of twists and turns. Typified by good editting, the one word I'd use for Milt's work is honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment