Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement

   I went back to the Bureau of Labor Statistics tonight. They’re pretty succinct on defining terms. Under the heading Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement I’m struck by a few things that had escaped me in the past; simply because I just knew it and took it for granted.
   A bachelor’s degree is “usually required”. Okay, but two things: [1] usually required should likely read nearly always, and [2] it’s true, not even that if one can somehow winnow ones way in.
   I was reminded of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design; which I’ll explore more later.
   And under other qualifications there ostensibly aren’t any; though it does enunciate skills of well rounded-ness: communication, soft skills and the like. No licensure, no advanced degree; for there are no delineated strata to which to aspire requiring such a thing.
   I know this is similar for Illustration; as well as many of the applied arts. We could wait forever for this to evolve on its own, and it won’t. I wonder what configuration of circumstance, what form, what path such an insistence for further advanced study might take. To be truly view as a professional class it seems something senior to the status quo may be required.
   Or not. I’m sure the business world enjoys relatively cheap domestic labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment