Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Italian Object Lesson

   In yesterday’s New York Times ran the article Is Italy Too Italian? (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/business/global/01italy.html). It’s so sadly beautiful; much like any other classic tragic Italian opera. Of the many axioms I live by, the one that comes to mind here is that I’d rather be wrong and happy than right and miserable. Apparently, Italy does not feel the same way. I’m imagining here the best dressed corpse.
   Of late I’ve been either adding posts about the dissertation process itself or, at least, considerations close to it. This post is a bit further from that center, but still within the orbit of the blog … and I felt compelled to veer today because I want to keep an eye on the larger considerations as well.
   Italy has some hard cultural choices to make. From a Global business perspective it can start being conscious about its healing crisis and make such choices where it can or choices will be made for them. It is unfortunate, and it seems the insularity of Italy will be undone without their participation.
   About this, too, I hope I’m wrong. I love Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment