Thursday, December 2, 2010

Honduran Fashion [In search of packaging design in Honduras]

   Sometimes life throws a curveball or two, it seems that other times it's an entire series of curveballs. So I'm getting to my blog posts late. I decided I would survey the applied art that had the least postings and seek out what I could for country either in Africa or Central America... basically just whip something up. Well, you already know what I chose.
   I recalled that there was a political upheaval around June of last year (about a year and a half ago). I'm not sure how that all worked out, and I really don't have time to look it up. But I mention it because, apparently, it has significant ramifications for the garment industry.
  What happened to packaging? I'm not really finding anything (readily) on packaging.What I am finding is a significant, thriving garment industry. Maybe it is an accident of that which is coming to my attention, and it seems that there is an accentuation of screen printing the Honduran garment industry connection.
   Of the two LinkedIn pages that readily came up, both individuals (Melissa De La Vega @ http://www.linkedin.com/pub/melissa-de-la-vega/7/53a/950 and David Gren @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/riogarment ) found a solid design education here in the States (Ms. De La Vega at the Savannah College of Art and Design, Mr. Gren at Parsons). Well, that's impressive (to me, anyway; that of the two both went to decent schools in the US). 
   While I cannot locate Ms. De La Vega's business, Mr. Gren's resides at http://www.customscreensinc.com/main.html?src=%2Findex2.html#1,0 ... and what a client list he has! So, while I hadn't come across packaging design empirically, the applied arts of graphic design, screen printing and fashion seem to be demonstrably expressed in Honduras ... and that, too, is blog-worthy.

(see also: Honduras continues to hurt, By: Leonie Barrie - 29 October 2009 19:14: http://www.just-style.com/the-just-style-blog/honduras-continues-to-hurt_id1726.aspx )

No comments:

Post a Comment