Friday, October 29, 2010

ID in id


   The title reference, ID in id, is interior design in Indonesia; id being the national domain name suffix Indonesian websites use. I am beginning to research a piece on a marketing plan for “big box” retailer of spatial design in the broad view, and furniture and accessories in the literal view; and the marketing plan is for entrée into Indonesia.
   For little context, I thought I would take a peek at a classic, flagship interior design firm. After a little poking around a think I found what would likely bubble up as the best in class of ID firms in Indonesia. I confess, I based this in large measure on the line in particular that I found on their website that states: the only qualified Accredited Professional of LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environment Design) in Indonesia”. After what is approaching the two decade birthday, if you're in interior design and you ain't LEED, I don't consider you (this is analogous to how I treat any company that still uses a fax machine).
   Okay, okay, I confess I'm proud to have discovered that the guy who founded and runs this organization is an American; Rick McBride BFA, BArch - Rhode Island School of Design, a US Registered Architect. The general manager, I'm guessing, as his wife (and I'm further guessing is a native Indonesian), Myrna McBride, Degree in Architecture Trisakti University and a Member of the Indonesian Institute of Architects. The third principle, clearly Indonesian by name, is Bingah Suseno, who holds a BS from University of Wisconsin, and is a Member of Indonesia Interior Design Organization (HDII). Since 1993, the organization rounds out “with a staff of 20 trained professional(s)” (Citra Duta Artistry [CDA], n.d.).
   Duta means "we present", like an ambassador.  Citra means "the look". And they really do.
   CDA appears to be that quintessential, entrepreneurial American animal. It seems Rick McBride had followed his heart, got a great education at RISD, and however Indonesia came to his attention, realized Indonesia had an interior design deficit - so he set up shop! How much you want to bet? And, boy howdy, they do look good!
   So, is this going to help me out with my larger research? Possibly, although I tend to doubt it. Am I glad I did this? Yup! Do I think you know to check these people out for yourself? The reference follows:
Reference
Citra Duta Artistry. (n.d.). (Corporate Website). Retrieved October 29, 2010, from http://www.cda.co.id/; http://www.expat.or.id/sponsors/cda.html

No comments:

Post a Comment