Sunday, October 17, 2010

Business Idea for the taking - Another Win Win Win for the community

   I hereby copy write this idea and I freely intend to give it away.
   I went to the fifth year reunion of my first grad school (University of Phoenix, MBA/GMT) yesterday. There were significant and varied notable considerations, and this one, in particular, is blog post worthy.
   The theme was a series of threads that will nicely together: getting back, making a difference, participating and the like.
   Among the first people I met, on my way to the homecoming meeting, was a kind woman named Janet, who took my daughters and my picture. About five hours later, I ran into her again. Insofar as she seemed to have a direct connection to the woman who was looking to call forth this consideration of contribution, I gave Janet the following idea:
   Coordination could occur directly through whatever the organization was, or through a network of occupational therapists with association with seniors. There is no scarcity of nursing homes in Florida, and a significant number (perhaps even a majority) are populated with relatively able and sharp seniors. They may not be terribly aerobic, but they love to remain mentally, emotionally and psychically engaged.
   I imagine there's a few of these settings that have flat-panel TVs in the commons room that could be hooked up to a WiFi laptop and a WebCam. Database? Sure, you could, or you could just open the phonebook and start dialin’.
   Elsewhere, there are probably a ton of grammar schools out there that would love to adopt an honorary grandparent. Many grammar schools today have projectors in the classroom. Many of those projectors have the capacity to be hooked up to any net enabled computer. Skip the school board, but don’t interrupt the principal. I suggest the phone book again, grammar schools and asking for the assistant principal.
   The questions with the schools and the seniors are basically the same: are you interested in a free activity that will contribute to your population, do you have web access (and cams) and in the case of the seniors, do you have a large screen tv that can become a monitor. (It’s not rocket science).
   So far we have both components that have to do with the human element. Here are the two components that are missing; at least from this narrative so far. There's at least a half a dozen free, digital, online children's book sites; that's one component. The other component is Skype; which is also free.
   At this point, all one has to do is coordinate the same children's book being open on half the monitor, and open Skype on the other half.
   In this way, we have engaged two populations that need, or would appreciate, engagement. It costs nothing. And it would increase reading levels for the children, a sense of connectedness for everyone and a sense of difference making for the seniors. It's a win for the seniors, it's a win for the kids, and in the long run it's a win for the community as a whole.
   With everything else about it free, well, just credit me, and let me know which schools are benefitting. I hope University of Phoenix takes me up on my contribution to difference making. Heck, I hope anybody who reads this passes it along - such a difference should get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment